Saturday, June 9, 2012

Is Stephen Harper Dumb?


I think we have to make a note of the date.

Today is June 9th, 2012.

For the First time in a long time, I find myself agreeing with an RAC (Reform/Alliance/Con), Mr. Bob Mills.  Mr. Mills said something that really made sense…

"I've always said that if you're smart you surround yourself with really smart people. And if you're dumb, you surround yourself with a bunch of cheerleaders. We don't need cheerleaders.
-NRTEE member and former MP Bob Mills

Mr. Mills was elected as a Reformer, as a Canadian Alliancer, and a Harper Party member of parliament.  There are not a lot of people in that crowd that I agree with.

His comment was directed at our Fearless Leader, Stephen Harper.

Mr. Mills and other soon to be former members of the National Round Table on the Environment and the Economy (NRTEE) were making their voices heard in light of the Harper Party plans to do away with the NRTEE buried deep within the omnibus bill C-38.

Officially, the Harper Party is saying that we no longer need the NRTEE and that their time is past, but it sounds more like they don’t like the message that these folks are telling them, so they’re not paying anymore.

Now I’ve been looking for the link but I can’t find it, I’ll swear that I heard Harper saying  something about how the government shouldn’t sponsor groups (like the NRTEE) that don’t reflect government policy.

Every group from the Fraser Institute to Green Peace has an agenda, the only way to find an unbiased panel is to set it up yourself and use experts with various view points to debate and decide.  You don’t have to use their reports, but be prepared to explain why those reports were discarded.

It is all part of Democracy, you review the facts, you listen to view points and you make a decision based in part on those view points.  You don’t limit debate, invoke closure, move committees in camera, muzzle scientists… these things are not Democratic. 

These are the types of things that Harper and Co. used to rail against, but my how times have changed.

I can’t wait for the rhetoric to start over Elizabeth May’s plan to force a prolonged sitting of the House by proposing hundreds of amendments to Bill C -38.  I’m sure she will be vilified by the Harper Party for attempting to hijack Democracy.

I applaud Ms. May for her efforts to try and restore Democracy in the House and I applaud the Opposition Parties for supporting her on her quest to break the Harper Party’s grip on power.

I just hope Ms. May can show people like David Wilks what can happen when you surround yourself with smart people and stand up for what is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment